Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Nightflyers by George R.R. Martin

NightflyersNightflyers by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I may not always like George Martin’s stories, but I always love his writing. I knew I would love Nightflyers, and I’m happy to say that I did. Loved it. There are 6 stories in this collection, and each of them was high-quality sci-fi filled with horror and thriller. Martin has written them in the 70s, but none of the stories was even a bit dated. That’s why I love Martin so much. He’s a genius.

The title story, Nightflyers, was a mix of many sci-fi horrors that we’ve come to love over the last 30 years: Alien, Space Odyssey, Event Horizon… It was a mix of sci-fi, mystery, thriller, and I loved every second of it. I kept thinking what a cool movie this story could be, and I’m thrilled to know that a mini-series is in production right now. Yay!

Override, Weekend in a War Zone, and Nor the Many-Colored Fires of a Star Ring were much shorter stories, each of them unique and vivid, exploring the depths of human nature.

And Seven Times Never Kill Man was a great mockery of all kinds of religions, no matter the planet.

A Song for Lya was another story about religion and man, but not what you’d expect. Even though I knew from the beginning how this one would end, it still left an impression on me.

I also loved that the stories were taking place in different parts of the universe, and each of the planets and worlds that Martin has created in this stories is original, well-thought and beautiful. What else can one expect from such a master storyteller?
Recommended for every sci-fi lover.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment