Search This Blog

Monday, October 27, 2014

7 Bone-Chilling Books To Read For Halloween

Just stumbled upon an article at Buzzfeed suggesting 7 bone-chilling books for Halloween. I've read two on the list: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, and Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.

Sharp Objects is actually my favorite novel by Miss Flynn. I've read all three of her books and the famous Gone Girl is on the third place (Dark Places was better). But I wouldn't call Sharp Objects bone-chilling. It was a standard mystery about murders in a small town of weirdos, and by the middle of the book the identity of the murderer was obvious. And still, I loved it more than other novels by Gillian Flynn, because Sharp Objects was atmospheric, filled with haunting memories and the feeling of guilt and pain

I can't even imagine why someone would put Doctor Sleep in the list of bone-chilling reads. There was nothing bone-chilling about this book. It was not even bone-cooling. Not even skin-prickling. It was boring. Lethargic. Tedious. And not a jot scary. Buzzfeed says, "Try reading Doctor Sleep but don’t expect to do too much sleeping." That is strange, because all that happened to me while I was struggling my way through Danny's adventures was falling asleep and feeling sorry for starting that book (I'm one of those diligent readers who always finish the book and almost never skip the pages).

Other books on the list are:

Your House Is on Fire, Your Children All Gone, which sounds interesting and suspenseful. The sample's already on my Kindle.

The Girl with All the Gifts, which for some reason doesn't have a kindle version, preventing me from giving it a try.

The Accursed. 1057 pages? No, thank you. I'm currently on the 859th page of Stephen King's Under the Dome, so once again no, thank you.

Fiend. A zombie novel. Zombies are not my thing. Maybe it's time to give them a try?

White Is for Witching. Witches!!! Yes, I think I might like this one... but wait, where is the kindle version? o.O No e-book? What a shame.

And while we are on it, let me remind you that a hangman comes to life on Halloween night in The Witch Hollow and the Wrong Spell. ;) Although, it's not that blood-chilling, after all it's a kids' book.

But the cover is pure Halloween, is it not? :))

No comments:

Post a Comment