Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The Vegetarian by Han Kang

The VegetarianThe Vegetarian by Han Kang
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A very strange book, and sadly not in a good way. This is not about a woman’s journey to become a vegetarian in a society which looks more than strangely at people who refuse meet. This was about repressed desires and childhood traumas.
I think the story tried to touch too many subjects simultaneously: women’s position in society, domestic abuse, human indifference, anorexia, and mental illness. There was too much of everything in this single short book, and the story had no closure. I’m not looking for happy ending in every book I read, and I don’t mind sad and depressing stories, but I wish author made a point with the story. Or maybe the point was there, but I just coudn’t see it.
Overall, I didn’t enjoy this book. I wish I had picked up something else for the weekend.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment